Vogue 1240, but it had mostly negative feedback on Pattern Review, and it was maybe a little TOO dramatic to get much wearing time. But when I saw Barbara (of sewing on the edge) in her pillowcase dress the little wheels in my head started turning. I did some searching of pillowcase dresses on pinterest and then I bought New Look 6119 to use as my starting point.
I really like this pattern. I did make just a few changes (you knew that, didn't you?). I cut a size 14 but added an inch to each side. I sewed the front panels all the way up but left the keyhole in the back because I wanted to tie a big bow back there.
|This is probably a more typical expression for me|
After making the two dresses, I treated them as one at the neckline, and attached the seam binding to both layers at the underarm (1/2" seam binding) and at the neck (1" double wide seam binding, which I opened out to give me more room). I used a wider seam binding at the neck than the pattern called for because I wanted the neck tie to be wider and that gave me more room to thread it through. Fabric for the neck tie was leftover lining from my lace dress. I cut it 6 inches wide and maybe 90 inches long (as per here) then sewed it in half longways and turned it, then topstitched it. Ninety inches turned out to be way too long so after I had it made and tried it with the dress, I shortened it. I wanted to tie the bow in the back and have it be rather large, but I didn't want the tails to be so long that I would sit on them if I sat down.
Here's a lopsided view of the back:
|I need to get some sun on those legs|
Sometimes these nights are windy, too:)