Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Doings

Brenda at Coffeeteabooksandme had a helpful post on celebrating the holidays -- thinking about what things make them special to you or your family and trying to make sure those things are included in your activities.  I took her advice to heart and have tried to implement it -- not perfectly! -- but to have some intentionality to how we spent our time.  We live very far away from any family, so basically it is up to ME to make sure that there is some holiday spirit going on.  That is a daunting thought because I am not a take charge kind of girl.  But the Lord uses weak vessels, right?  Anyhow, here are a few of this year's holiday doings.

We have a particular tree we love to visit at Christmas time.  It is a single tree in a field, but the whole tree is covered in bluish-white lights.  There are no other lights to distract from its beauty, and it is breath-taking.  The photo does not do it justice.  It truly is magical.


Another thing I did was read A Christmas Carol out loud to my kids, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I'm not sure if they were as enthusiastic as I was, but all the same they won't forget it -- and it is fun to hear your twelve-year-old discussing what he imagines Mr. Fezziwig looks like :)
I kept my windowsill cheerful:


I think these flowers were called cretonnes (sp?)
We went to our downtown lighting festival so that SOMEONE could slide down the courthouse railings and the grownups could try some wassail.


We indulged in peppermint milkshakes from Chick-fil-A -- mmmmm. We had a cookie decorating party. We watched favorite holiday shows -- Rudolph, the Grinch, Elf plus more obscure ones like The Red Boots.  We'll probably save It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story (two very different movies, but both favorites around here) for Christmas Day.

Is my house perfectly clean?  I wish.  Did I mail Christmas cards? No.  Have I mailed gifts to faraway family? No, in the interest of finances and stress I decided to do that AFTER the holidays.  Does everyone in my house run around with peace in their hearts to their fellow man?  That truly would be a dream.

No perfection here.  BUT.....this year I have decorated a little more, baked a little more, taken more care wrapping the presents, even been a little more thoughtful in present giving.  I have tried to plan some easy good meals and am looking forward to our church's Christmas Eve service.

I am hoping to carry forward some of this intentionality (for want of a better word) into the new year,  so that 2012 might have many small happy memories tucked in amongst the ordinary and even the worse-than-ordinary days.

Merry Christmas!

"And the angel said unto them, Fear not:  for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." -- Luke 2:9-10



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog...My english is so bad, but I hope you understand...The yellow flower we call...like...in english..."lionteeth", lövetann in norwegian.

    Happy new year from Unn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment :) I've turned off anonymous comments due to spam. If you would like to leave a comment and can't, send me an email.