Friday, March 6, 2015

McCalls 6754 -- Christmas Dress


This is a cellphone photo of my daughter standing in front of my sister-in-law's fireplace after my nephew's wedding, which was the weekend before Christmas.  Yes, I am posting my daughter's Christmas dress in March.  I am a very slow poster.  Also, circumstances conspired against me as far as getting photos.  I had hoped to get some family photos of us all dressed up, but my youngest son came down with an inconvenient stomach virus right as the wedding started, so he and I (and partly his dad) missed the whole thing!! Such is life, at least in this household.....

Anyway, my daughter made this dress in early December to wear to the wedding.  The pattern is McCalls 6754, view D and the fabric is berry stretch velour from Hobby Lobby.  The dress on the cover is very short and my daughter is tall (5'9" plus), so we thought we better add some length to the skirt.  We tried six inches at first, but that would not fit on the fabric, then we went down to four inches.  However, the skirt is quite full and the weight pulls it down, so in the end we only added two inches to the skirt length.

The rest of the pattern was sewn without alterations.  My daughter made a small (size 8-10).  She usually sews a 10.  This pattern is rated 'easy' and I would have to say it really is.  The whole thing sewed up in an afternoon. It has raglan 3/4 sleeves.  The waist seams make a casing for elastic, which helps hold the skirt up. She added knit stay tape to the neckline and the edges of the sleeves and the skirt, then turned them under and stitched them down, using a small zigzag stitch.  The fabric does not fray, so the other seams were stitched and pressed open, no finishing required. And it pulls on over the head, so no zippers or other fasteners to worry about.

I think it looks really cute on her.  The only thing she is not sure about is the raglan sleeves.  We both have really broad shoulders and wonder if the raglan sleeves emphasize that too much?  Also, the velour sheds on the inside, so after wearing the dress she is covered with bits of berry fuzz.  I think that might dissipate with a few more wearings.

We do recommend the pattern.  You can also make a tank top version for a summer dress, and there are some peplum top variations as well.


14 comments:

  1. Very pretty dress for Christmas and a Christmas wedding. I was just wandering around in a Hobby Lobby fabric section. Lots of lovely fabrics. I was looking at some for an ottoman. Anyway, back to the subject at hand...your beautiful, talented daughter. She looks wonderful wearing her own creation. (Sorry about missing the wedding.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly, she looks beautiful! I have to laugh. I made myself a red stretch velvet dress for Christmas and it was a disaster. Hated it on me. Your daughter wears the color and the fabric so well. Her shoulders look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely dress and your daughter looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous colour! I really don't think that the raglan sleeves draw any unnecessary attention to the shoulder area. The overall effect is very flattering and pretty. Wow! How nice that your daughter sews! And a Christmas wedding.... sigh.... that was on my wish list, but life had other plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter looks beautiful and festive in her Christmas dress!! No one would know that there were "challenges" going on all around her while she posed and smiled so prettily. The dress and color look like an excellent choice for a Christmas dress.

    Hmmmm...easy. You have almost convinced me that I could tackle this one, even with my basic sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful daughter and dress! She is quite a seamstress! Your household sounds like mine when we all get together... LOL. Both the bride and the groom (my daughter and new son-in-law) had the flu at their wedding 2 weeks ago!! Excitement and happiness kept them going and we didn't really tell anyone that they were sick...bad on us. But I think half the people there were already down with something. Anyway - thks so much for sharing this lovely pic and story. Coco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter looks beautiful in this. The colour is gorgeous. I must check this pattern out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is very talented. The dress is lovely and the colour is perfect on her. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful dress. The colour and style are lovely on your daughter and she is very talented to have made this herself. You must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet the fuzz goes away with a couple of washings. I don't think the raglan sleeves are bad at ALL. I think they somehow blend with the neckline/bodice cut, and it is very flattering on her -- esp. the neckline. The length turned out nice as well. I LOVE how her head is crowned with that massive wreath -- she's the Christmas Queen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peeking in to say "hi" and hope that all is well! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just joined up to follow you on Pinterest. You have some nice stuff pinned! Did you know that you can drag and drop your boards in alphabetized order? I just found that out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2348142454860,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For: Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection. Discharge from Penis. Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid. Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2348142454860  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabric with the best quality in western wear is available online.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment :) I've turned off anonymous comments due to spam. If you would like to leave a comment and can't, send me an email.