I made this dress two or three years ago, pre-blog. I had not started my own blog, but I had begun to read sewing blogs and I was soaking in quite a bit of information. Michelle at Cheap and Picky also sews on a Singer 401, and she posted tips on how to sew knits with this machine. I followed her suggestions and made this dress out of a slinky brown polka dot knit from Joann Fabrics.
There are lots of things I would do differently now. I sewed an 18, but now I would sew a 14 in the shoulders and add width to the body. Also I would use knit stay tape on the neckline, but I didn't know about that yet, so I just turned the edges under twice and sewed them down. All the same, I am very fond of this dress because it represents the first time of sewing with knits for me, and it was the first piece of clothing I had sewn for myself in many years.
I finally decided to make the top once and for all just to get it off of my sewing list and out of my sewing room. This time I cut a 14 and added width to the side seams. I also lengthened the pattern. Everything went well with the sewing. BUT.....even though the zebra fabric was knit, it had almost zero stretch, quite unlike the slinky brown polka dot fabric of the dress.
When I finished the top, I hated it. I shoved it in the closet until such time as I got around to writing about how not everything I make ends up being wearable. It stayed there for over a month. To my surprise, when I finally put the top back on in preparation for blogging honesty, I didn't hate it any more.