The fabric I used was some pink and black slinky, thin knit from Joann Fabrics. I debated which sleeve version to use, but I decided on the kimono sleeves just as an experiment. I cut a size 16, which fits about right on this pattern.
|Frowning into the sun|
I did use some new techniques. Rather than turning the neckline under and stitching it down, the pattern had you line the neckline with a facing, made out of the same fabric, that is stretched to fit as you sew. I did not do the greatest job, but from the outside it looks fine. Also, I found some good tips at The Slapdash Sewist on how to sew the ties so that no seams show. In addition she had a great tip in there about sewing a few gathering stitches on the front (hidden underneath the wrap portion), which keeps some of the fullness in the front to mask your tummy.
Here's a back view:
Even though this was a slinky, rather cheap-feeling, knit, very slippery, I had no problems sewing it with my machine. And I did learn some new techniques. And it's something else FINISHED, which is always a plus;)
If you are thinking about sewing a particular pattern, look online to see who else might have made it and what their experience was. Then, just try. The worst thing that can happen is you won't like it, but even then you will have learned something and added more sewing experience to your repertoire.